Ms. Ackley has represented clients, including municipalities, throughout the United States in a variety of areas, with an emphasis on
environmental law, public law, land use, groundwater contamination, and water rights and water quality. She previously practiced toxic tort litigation and business litigation for 10 years, which
fully developed her skills as a civil litigator. She also served as an extern to Superior Court Judge Patricia Cowett (Ret.) and to Court of Appeal Justice, Honorable Richard
Ms. Ackley graduated from Scripps College with a Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies and Economics. She earned her Masters of Business
Administration from SDA Bocconi in Italy, which is ranked the 39th best Masters of Business Program in the world by the Financial Times. She studied law at the University of San Diego, receiving her
Juris Doctorate in 2006.
Her experience includes:
- Successfully represented her client during an appeal involving allegations of groundwater contamination. The alleged response costs were
estimated to be $200 million.
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of her client against allegations of soil and groundwater contamination involving alleged damages of
several hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Successfully represented her clients in five coordinated class actions involving thousands of individual toxic tort lawsuits alleging
property damages and personal injuries due to purported exposures to hexavalent chromium in the air and groundwater.
- Following the filing of a summary judgment motion on behalf of her client, Ms. Ackley was able to obtain a favorable settlement for her
client in an environmental exposure case involving millions of dollars in alleged damages.
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of her City clients in separate cases involving allegations of design defect and violations of civil
Ms. Ackley is an active member of the community. She participates in several women’s groups and serves on her Homeowner’s Association
Board of Directors.
- Judicial Intern, Hon. Patricia Cowett (Ret.), San Diego County Superior Court
- Judicial Intern, Hon. Richard Huffman, Fourth District Court of Appeal for the State of California
- State of California
- United States District Court, Southern, Central and Eastern Districts of California
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., 2006)
- SDA Bocconi (M.B.A., 2002)
- Scripps College (B.A., 1997)
- “State Proposes Strict Water Standard, But Who Picks Up The Tab?,” California Daily Journal, October 2013.
- “Big Stakes in Coachella Valley Water Wars,” California Daily Journal, October 2013.
- “Oil and Water Don’t Mix,” California Daily Journal, January 2014.
- “Regulations Could Increase Water Bills,” California Daily Journal, April 2014.
ORGANIZATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- Association of California Water Agencies
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Member